Some musings on the best writing method for murder mysteries

How do you “write” when you sit down to work on your book?

As many long term professional murder mystery authors out there have said about the writing process, “Writing takes planning, you can’t just sit down and

write a book.” They will follow that statement up with detailed descriptions of multi-page, highly detailed  outlines, draconian daily work regiments and, for at least one

author, why “outsiders” should never disturb or otherwise interrupt them while they’re in the throes of creating their literary masterpiece.

To me those statements have always sounded like a somewhat snooty, “Serious authors all know this is the “right way” to work” approach to writing. All of that sounds far too much like the

research and writing instructor I had back in law school who didn’t have kids, pets or a spouse. But if you wanted to know the different and very critical rules

on the use of a colon and semicolon, or when a comma is used correctly or incorrectly then she’s the go-to expert!

Like many of you I’m curious and wanted to know if there is a sure-fire, can’t miss writing method somewhere out there online I could adopt or modify for my own use.

Each published author I read about has a particular method of writing that works for him or her.

As is my practice, I read what they had to say, took from it what works for me and left the rest on the table. After all, no two authors are the same.

One gentleman insisted that he starts a new book by writing the end of it first. That really impresses me because I am incapable of writing anything backwards, in reverse order or by writing the ending of the story first.

Another author says that he outlines the entire book before he begins to write, and follows that outline religiously. He goes one step farther and asserts that this is the only way to write. Sorry sir, I really have to disagree. I’m glad that works for you, but to me it’s like handcuffing myself before I

even turn the computer on.

Still other authors say they start with an idea that somehow became stuck in their head, then sat down to “get it out” of their heads. This seems to be the “spill

your brains onto paper” method, and while I can understand that particular concept, it wouldn’t work for me very well either.

Others start with an idea, dream up the characters and, after breathing life into them, begin writing about them within the context of their story idea. I can really relate to this method because it is very close to how I “create.”

Others use a variation of that method and come up with a character or characters first, give them depth and personalities, then go on to build a story around them.

For those of you who write like that, my hat is off to you.

If it works for you, by all means do it.

As for me, I begin with an idea for a story, figure out the geographic location where things will take place, what type of characters are necessary to

make the story believable (more or less), then move forward from there. The closest thing I ever have to an outline is a written list of character names.

This list includes their title, such as Secretary, Police officer or office manager, and then a bit of background to give each character enough depth so that they don’t read as being one-dimensional.

From that starting point I begin writing. To an extent, I let the characters tell the story their own way. I’ve been told that this method is so wrong that it indicates a deep need for psychotherapy. Insults have never worked on me and that’s what I will tell my shrink if I ever break down and hire one.

My goal is to end up telling the reader a good story.

The problem I have always faced, and to some extent still do, is that I catch myself “writing like a lawyer.” Law libraries are filled with tons of that kind of dry, dusty drivel, so I try to keep it out of my writing.

I do follow one bit of often repeated advice in my writing though, I write what I know and have personal experience with. Things that I don’t know, I research.

I’m a retired lawyer (better stated as a recovering attorney), so I know the law and most important to my books, how law offices actually function. Hence all of my murder mysteries take place in law firms or other settings within the legal profession, including political offices deeply involved with

it. In truth, these are the real world “sausage making shops” of the legal profession. Yes, I know, “if you saw how sausage is made, you’d never…” That’s

true in spades folks.

Does my bloody trail of murdered lawyers, judges and politicians reveal a deep-seeded cynicism about the men and women inside the legal profession? Good

lord, of course not. Why would you even think such a thing? That’s another thing I’ll say to a shrink if I ever hire one.

I want to make one final point, and please understand this is only my opinion on what constitutes a workable method for writing books. I don’t subscribe

to the “solitary work” approach. I didn’t get my life experiences by living in a vacuum and don’t live day to day all alone. I’m not a recluse. I get valuable,

if at times unsolicited advice from my wife. That is why my writing turns out better than if I do everything my own way. One other practice I avoid like the plague is making social statements in any of my stories. If someone thinks I’ve made one in a story that’s their opinion. Social statements

and striking a blow for the rights of this or that social group belongs in a newscast or courtroom.

My advice to everyone out there is to get out, talk to other people and try to strike that balance between reciting a personal experience in print and weaving your experiences into a good story. I’ve found that if you’re comfortable writing in a particular way your end product will be pretty good. That

is until an editor gets ahold of it and makes it “marketable.”

The whole point is to start writing in your own comfort zone and modify it if you find you need better results.

 

Comments